Monday, November 8, 2010

Gluten, Milk and Egg Free Chocolate Cupcakes with Lavender Buttercream Frosting!


I tested these last weekend with the Rose Vanilla Cupcakes and the Halloween Cupcakes and did the same substitution for the egg (using my Ultimate Awesome Gluten & Milk Free Chocolate Cupcake Recipe) For the egg, I substituted 1 Tablespoon if Flax Seed Flour mixed with 2 Tablespoons of Water.  It did not change the taste at all.

Also, a MAJOR change in my ingredients.  As I am baking so much and the flours are so expensive, I have tried using a bit more rice flour in each recipe (normally, I dont like using rice flour, but it does work).  I also found out that the Sanella margarine does have Whey in it, so I am now using Deli-Reform Das Original Margarine as it is 100% milk free.

Here again is the recipe I used for the cupcakes,
Gluten, Milk and Egg Free Chocolate Cupcakes with Butter Cream Frosting
Cupcakes:
20g Amaranth Flour
20g Millet Flour
34g White Rice Flour
16g Tapioca starch
1/8 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon GF Baking Powder (if using German, use 2x amount)
40g Baking Cocoa Powder
Pinch of salt
25g Milk Free Margarine at room temperature (I used Deli Reform Das Original)
140 g Mascobado Sugar
Replacement for 1 Egg (I used 1 Tablespoon Flax Seed Flour with 2 Tablespoons Water.  Mixed well and let set for 10 minutes).
½ teaspoon GF Pure Vanilla Extract
½ cup Soy Milk at room temperature (I used Alpro soya natural fresh)

Preheat oven to  180°C (350°F)

In a large bowl - mix the margarine, sugar, vanilla, egg replacement and soy milk together until blended. 

In a smaller bowl – mix the remaining ingredients and sift several times.  I usually sift at least 3x.

Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix with a spoon until the flour is all mixed into the wet mixture.  Then beat on medium speed with a mixer for 1-2 minutes.

Fill cupcakes liners 2/3 full.  I drop the cupcake pan then a couple times on a flat surface to get any air bubbles out.

Put into heated oven and DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR until the timer goes off - Bake for 17 minutes.  Check with a toothpick. 

Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the cupcake tin.  Place cupcakes on a wire rack to cool completely.  When completely cooled, you can frost them.

Butter Cream Frosting:
I used the Wilton Recipe but altered as follows to make it milk free.
113g Milk Free Margarine at room temperature - again, used Delli Reform
113g Crisco or other shortening   
1 teaspoon GF Pure Vanilla Extract
520g Powdered Sugar (shifted)
2 tablespoons Soy Milk (again, used the fresh Alpro)

Cream the margarine and shortening together then add the vanilla.  Mix.  Then add the powdered sugar approx 1 cup at a time.  Then add the soy milk.  Adjust milk/powdered sugar to get consistency needed.

Food coloring is Gluten Free as are the toppings (Rice and or Potato Starch are used)

No comments:

Post a Comment