Saturday, February 26, 2011

Gluten, Milk & Soy Free Tuna Noodle Casserole - from scratch, no cans!


I saw a nice pic of some tuna noodle casserole on some food site the other day and thought, that would be nice to make for a change.  However, I wanted to try it from scratch. I searched several major food sites as well as blogs and could not really find a recipe that was totally from scratch. Nearly all of them required a can of condensed soup and as that has both milk and gluten it it - that was out.  I found a couple sites with the soup recipe, but didn't really like any of them.  So, I decided to make up my own recipe. As I was trying to write down what I wanted, I decided to also use fresh tuna and add some peppers (as we love peppers). 

Then while asking my Guy if he preferred the top crunchy or if he preferred peas or no peas - he didn't really know why I was asking.  So I ask him "Have you ever had tuna noodle casserole before?" and was shocked when he answered no!  So, we decided to do this together as I love cooking with him :)

So, I wrote down what I thought I wanted to do and printed it out - but when we started cooking, the paper sort of got lost as we just kept making it up as we went along.  I tried after to remember as close as possible what we had done and get it all down.  The only thing that we ended up doing differently than what I wrote below, is that yes, we did cheap :(   We made way too much of the veggie/milk sauce and noodles and the 2 tuna steaks were just not quite enough - so, we added some canned tuna - yes I know!  But I adjusted the recipe below to call for 4 tuna steaks (we only used 2).  You could DEFINITELY tell the different in the bites with the freshly grilled and the canned.  Don't think I would ever make tuna noodle casserole again from a can!

Gluten, Milk & Soy Free Tuna Noodle Casserole 
(Makes 6 large portions or 8 small)


Ingredients:
4 tablespoon Ghee
2 Green Onions, sliced
1 small Shallot, diced
2 celery sticks, diced finely
1/2  each of Yellow, Orange and Red Bell Peppers, diced finely
3-5 cloves Garlic, diced
Course Sea Salt and Mixed Peppercorns ground -  to taste
2 cups fresh Mushrooms (sliced)
1 cup frozen Peas
1 cup Goat’s Milk
3 tablespoons Millet Flour
1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
1 box Gluten Free Pasta Spirals, cooked
1/4 cup Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
1 cup Pecorino Cheese
4  fresh Tuna Steaks, grilled


Directions:

1.    Melt the Ghee in a large skillet.  Then sautéed onion (both types), garlic, celery, all the peppers  for  5-7 minutes until soft.  Then add the mushrooms and peas and cook another couple minutes. 

2.    Add the flour to the milk, whisk together and add to the sautéed mixture. Also add the vegetable broth at this time.

3.    If you have not already done so, cook the pasta according to directions.

4.    If you have not already done so, grill or bake the tuna until cooked.  When cooled slightly, fork into bite sized pieces.

5.    Mix together in a large baking dish the pasta, most of the cheese (leave some to put on top), the tuna and the sautéed veggie/milk mixture,

6.    Top with the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.

7.    Bake at 180°C for 35-40 minutes or until cheese is melted and top is nice and browned.

1 comment:

  1. This may just me not being aware, but isn't Ghee clarified butter... ergo dairy/milk? Or is there such a thing as goat/sheep ghee?

    ReplyDelete