Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I LOVE cupcakes

It is not so much the making of them, but the decorating of them that I love (cakes too). The other day I bought a cupcake book and decided I would make every cupcake in the book - but adapting the recipes to be Gluten and Lactose Free.  I am actually milk intolerant, however, it is not as bad as the Gluten so for these I can have a bit, but the Lactose Free does help.

I tend to make up recipes as I go along. I never follow a recipe at all, even a great GF one.  I always change things.  However, I am horrible at actually knowing what I did.  My goal with this blog is that I start to note down what I change so I can make it better the next time and also remember when it turns out awesome.  I once made the best corn bread on Earth - but can not do it again, as no idea which flour blends I use. :-D

2 important things I do. I always use electronic scales (none of this "cups" crap from US recipes - just does not work with GF)  One cup of wheat flour does not equal one cup of another type of flour.  I also never use the typical US GF blend of Rice/Tapioca/Potato - I use Teff, Amaranth, Quinoa and other flours. They turn out SO much better!!!

For more info on Gluten Free http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten_free

For more info on  Milk Intolerant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_allergy

For a GREAT conversion site (including flour weights) http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking.htm 

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading and learning more from you, babs!!!

    ReplyDelete