Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Gluten, Milk and Egg Free Chocolate Cafe Amaretto Cupcakes - Take 2


Apologies for the poor photo quality.  Had to use the old old digital camera as the new one is not working at the moment :(

So, I have been sick all week and eating healthy for several weeks and today, I just wanted something sweet :)  So, I decided to make some cupcakes.  With the idea of eating a couple of them, putting a couple in the freezer for Guy for the weekend and then taking the rest to my German class tomorrow night.  This way, I only eat 2 :)

I was not sure what I was in the mood for, but it had to be chocolate.  Then I thought, everyone could use a bit of a boost as the German class is 6pm-9pm, so I decided to try the coffee cupcakes again, but with a few experimental changes.  

I must say, the last batch did turn out better as far as texture of the cupcake and the smoothness of the tops, but these were better in flavor with the changes (mainly I think adding the yogurt).  I think the unsmoothness (is that a word?) is because the batter was too thick.  I actually only used 1/2 cup of the rice milk in the recipe, but adjusted it below to be 3/4, this should be enough extra to solve this issue.  The other issue is that they baked a couple minutes too long.  Not sure if that is due to the thick batter, so will put a range in the recipe below. I did 20 min and it was about 2 min too long, but with the extra milk, it may need another min or 2.

So, here is the recipe with a few changes from last time.  I used some sheep's yogurt and adjusted some of the measurements.  Also, as I used the sheep's yogurt, it is obviously no longer Vegan - you can just leave that out and increase the rice milk to 1 cup to adjust for that if you wish.  I think next time I try this recipe, I will leave out the flax seed flour and just add an egg as well :)

Cafe Amaretto Cupcakes Take 2: 
Makes 16 cupcakes
Per cupcake (with frosting)
Calories  219
Fat 8g
Carbs 35g
Fiber 11g
Protein 2g


3/4 cup Rice Milk
1/2 cup Sheep’s Greek Yogurt
Espresso Instant Powder  (to equal 6 cups of espresso)
1/3 cup Mazola oil
125 grams Moscovado Sugar
2 teaspoons GF Vanilla Extract
1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract

Mix above in stand mixer on speed 2 until well blended.  Then add

30 grams Tapioca Starch
2 tablespoons Flaxseed (ground/flour)

Mix for 1-2 minute on speed 2-3 or until it is thoroughly mixed.

Then sift together in a bowl the following ingredients

50 grams Dutch Cocoa Powder
80 grams White Rice Flour
55 grams Quinoa Flour
60 grams Millet or Sorghum flour
1 teaspoon GF Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt

Add this sifted ingredient to the mixture.  mix for a minute or 2 on low speed (2) until well mixed!!!!

Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 18-20 min. 

For the Frosting:
(I did not use any margarine, as wanted the frosting to be white)
75 grams Crisco

Mix this for about 30 seconds to a minute on speed 2 of your stand mixer
Then add

250 grams powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon Amaretto

Mix for 2 minutes or so (If it is too dry, add a bit of the Amaretto, but just a bit, you want to mix this well before adding the rest of the liquid).

Now add 1-2 Tablespoons more of liquid (can be rice milk or Amaretto and use more or less to get the consistency you want)

Mix in stand mixer for 5-7 minutes or so - this will make it nice and fluffy and light and will not taste so sweet :)



No comments:

Post a Comment