Sunday, May 8, 2011

Gluten Free Caramel/Peanut Butter Chocoate Bars with Almond Base





So, I had a few "bad" things that needed used up so that they were gone :)  I had a can of condensed milk, well, closest thing you can get in Germany. It was a generic can that I got at a local Asian shop.  You can not really buy the Carnation stuff here.  I kept reading about how you can cook the can for a few hours and make caramel out of it, so I tried it.  I cooked the can in boiling water for 4 hours,  The result (I wish I had taken a pic, but I did not) was a wonderful thick caramel that had the color/flavor as it should.  Now, I knew I had to make something with this or I would eat the whole can.  I also knew this was a double no no as it is pure milk and I am not suppose to eat milk :(   I have been wanting to make some shortbread caramel bars for a while so thought I would try that.  I decided to just go with what I had and not follow any recipe.  I did not write down amounts of what I did but I followed the basics of most recipes as a base.

For the base - I mixed in a food processor Almond Meal, mascoavo sugar and margarine- pressed it into a baking dish and baked for 15 min.

For the filling - I  mixed the can of now caramel sauce with some margarine, vanilla and the rest of a jar of peanut butter that I had (I figured why not :)

For the chocolate - I  melted some baking chocolate I had left with some ghee and sea salt.

I simply layered them and put it in the fridge for a few hours.

They turned out quite nice, but I do need to try to freeze some so that we don't eat them all :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment