Saturday, October 2, 2010

Bird's Nest for breakfast....Gluten and Milk Free

I got this idea from Andrea, a friend who made these. She found the recipe from The MrBreakfast.com site.

I used a Gluten/Milk Free bread. Toasted it.  Mixed the egg whites with a bit of salt. Piled onto of the toasted/buttered bread.  Put the egg yolk in the center and baked.  We found these a bit interesting and different from our usual same ol breakfast.  But we also found them a bit bland.  I think next time I made them, I would put some fresh ground pepper on top or some other spice. We both love our spices ;-)

I think if you have kids, these  would be an awesome breakfast treat - as they are different and interesting.  The texture was also quite nice.

Overall, it was a nice change for us for breakfast. Although we each had 2, we were still hungry after ;-)

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you found them bland. We did too a bit, until I thought to put another pat of butter onto the yolks just as they finished cooking. That helped quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lil herbs and cheese will make these really nice, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Sommer. I will try them again, perhaps when my mom comes to visit. I will do the extra butter as Andrea suggested and the cheese(pecorino of course) & herbs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just saw this blog after 2 yrs it was posted. My egg did not puff out? how come? how long did you put it in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to beat the egg whites until fluffy and then put on the toast to bake.

      Delete